Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pre-eclampsia

I decided to look up more information on Pre-eclampsia because I didn't know all the causes and risks involved. I think at one time I knew, and I've forgotten. 
I have a co-worker that had Pre-eclampsia for two of her pregnancies and a cousin that has it. My co-worker also had Hellp Syndrome with her last pregnany. Her first baby that was 4 pounds and her second baby was 2 pounds. Both of her daughters ended up ok, but this isn't always the case.

I got all my information here and here.


What is it?:
  • Blood Pressure increases
  • Protein appears in the urine
  • Swelling that does not go away {in legs and face}
  • Usually happens in the second half of pregnancy
  • Happens 5%-8% of pregnancies

Although causes are not known for sure, there are possible causes, which include:
  • Genetic factors
  • Dietary factors
  • Blood vessel funtion
  • The immune system turns against the body
Risk factors {you do not have to have all of these to get Pre-eclampsia}:
  • Family history
  • Multiple births
  • Fist pregnancy
  • Inadequate prenatal care 
  • Happened in a previous pregnancy
  • Obesity
  • Chronic high blood pressure
  • Kidney disease
  • Race: African American
  • Age: Under 18 years old or older than 40 years old
 What can happen {scary part}: 
  • Seizure
  • Stroke
  • Multiple organ failure 
  • Death of the mother and/or baby


If you would like to learn more about Pre-eclampsia, this is the best website I found: Preeclampsia Foundation. They even have a spot where you can donate to help with research here. They also have a walk. You can find out more about the walk here.

No comments: