Monday, March 7, 2011

Exciting News!

I was excited to hear on the news last week that Nebraska passed a law that supports women to breastfeed in public!

We were one of the only states left that did not support breastfeeding. It saddened me to hear some of the stories about new mom's getting kicked out of restaurants, asked to nurse in the bathroom of our local art museum, all because they were breastfeeding! I wanted to tell the local art museum to go eat their lunches in the bathroom.

This discrimination can still happen, but now with this new law in place, our state sides with the mother.

I was not one that could breastfeed in public, due to major issues with latching. Mica was born with a cyst under his tongue, making his tongue thick on one side, and skinny on the other. Isaak had troubles latching. Needless to say, I had to see what I was doing! Then when when we got the latch down, they were very active babies! They would have never left a blanket or cover over them.

My sister nursed in public, but no one could tell. Many people thought her baby was asleep. The cover up things they make for babies now a days are GREAT!

In my opinion women should have the right to nurse in public! You can read more about this new law here.

There is a survey that was done on a local news channel website.

Nebraska lawmakers advance bill allowing breast feeding in public. Do you have any concerns about the idea?

Choice Votes Percentage of 810 Votes

No, Should be allowed 465  57%

Maybe, Can be awkward 140  17%

Yes, Not in public 205  25%

No comments: