Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hair Loss, Is it Caused By Breastfeeding?

  • The answer is no. It is caused by changes in a new mom's hormones.
  • During pregnancy, changes in your hormone levels cause your hair to stay in a resting phase, so hair loss is less. You may have noticed that your hair seemed thicker maybe even shinier than usual.
  • After you've given birth and your hormones have settled down, usually at about 12 weeks after birth, hair shifts into a shedding phase. It was alarming to me to put my fingers through my hair, and have hair come out by the handful.
  • You start to lose your hair about the same time your baby loses his or her hair.
  • Normally, you lose about 100 to 125 hairs a day. After delivery, you may be losing about 500 a day. This may be alarming, but you will not go bald.
  • I had what I called, "Baby Hair" grow back. It started growing back when I noticed my babies hair was growing back.

No comments: