Sunday, May 30, 2010

Engorged?

  • I remember a few days after I got home from the hospital after Mica's birth I had engorged breasts. I was even running a low grade temp.
  • Being a new mom, I had no idea what to do.
  • At the time I saw this as a negative thing. Now I know that it was a positive because my body was trying to tell me that I was indeed producing milk.
  • I called my mom who is a nurse that nursed two children herself, and Mica's pediatrician for advice.
  • The BEST thing you can do is to nurse frequently, and if your baby isn't hungry pump in small intervals. I found it worked best for me to pump for 5 to 10 min. and then nurse. Pumping first would soften the areola, and allow Mica to latch better.
  • Cold packs help relieve the pain and swelling.
  • I had to wake Mica up to nurse every 2 hours to prevent engorgement. He was a very sleepy baby.

No comments: