Friday, June 4, 2010

Weaning

  • Both of my kid's were difficult to start with nursing, and didn't want to quit when it came time to wean them.
  • Mica, my oldest stopped nursing at 1 1/2, I think...it all seems to be a blur. My son Isaak just turned two. He's still nursing once or twice a day some days.
  • The hardest time for Isaak to stop is when I go to pick him up in the evening after working all day. He jumps up and down because he misses me so much. He wants to nurse right away. Many times, I try and hurry up to get out of my sister's or mom and dad's house because I just want to keep his mind off of nursing.
  • In the morning I've found that if I'm up, dressed and breakfast is made, he is less likely to want to nurse. He has a nice meal waiting for him instead. But...I never know for sure when he's going to wake up.
  • If Isaak has something to keep him occupied then he's mostly ok with not nursing.
  • Sometimes if he nurses, gets distracted, I'll cover up. He wants to latch on a min or two later. I'll just say, "Mommy's bottles are empty". I've always called nursing, "Mommy's Bottles".
  • Ending breastfeeding and sucking a thumb is a lot different then giving up a binky or blanket. You can't just take it away to hide it, or throw it away in the trash can...it's there in front of them.
  • Does any body have any other weaning tips for me?

2 comments:

joeandbridge said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll swing by all your blogs and follow! Have a great weekend!

Bridgette
Groschen Goblins

Unknown said...

wonderful blog! it's nice to see another mama promoting bfing..:) i found you through the blog hop and am now a follower.

i nursed both my girls from day one exclusively. my oldest nursed until she was just over 2 and the only reason she stopped was because i was 3 months pregnant and i think my milk changed. she just didn't like it one day and didn't ask anymore. my youngest stopped on her 3rd birthday. we made a deal, and that morning she woke up before the sun came up, asked if she could have "mum mums" one more time and that was that. one night of sadness but daddy and mommy snuggled her close and she never asked again. i was very lucky in the weaning department, that's for sure!

thanks for promoting such an important aspect of mommyhood..:)

hope your weekend is great!