Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pumping Little to Nothing?

I have to admit that I didn't have the problem of pumping when my boy's were infants. I had problems with latching, but pumping came pretty easy.

It was when Mica {my oldest} got a staph infection, at seven months where pumping became hard. At the time, I felt like we may have to give up breastfeeding. I was sick with bronchitis, and he barely nursed because he was so sick. When he was on his upswing, my body didn't want to deliver. I even had a Lactation Consultant tell me that at 7 months, my body wasn't going to produce as much milk. It may be time to quit. I felt awful. It was like everything I had been working so hard for was going to come to an end. I wanted to nurse him back to health. It wasn't easy, but we did it!

To Build Back Up Your Milk Supply, These are Some Things to Try:
  • Pump between feedings and store. Don't give your baby the pumped milk. If they are hungry, they will manage to get more milk out of you.
  • Drink a lot of water.
  • Malt Powder is supposed to help mom's produce more milk.
  • Any Mother's Milk tea. There are different mommy tea's out there. I don't know if one is better then the other. Check out your local health food store. 
  • Fenugreek is a natural herb that is most often used to increase milk supply. I asked my doctor about taking this before I took it. Check out your local health food store. 
  • While pumping listen to a baby cry, look at your baby's picture, play soft soothing music. All of these things help to produce more while pumping.

No comments: