Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trouble With Latching?

  • I've been reading a lot on the proper latch. As a new mom getting this down for me was a tough one. 
  • With my second baby I thought nursing would be so easy since I had already nursed my oldest that had a few tongue complications. Not so. My second was not latching right like I thought he was. I had sores all over my nipples!
  • There's a few things you can do:
  1. Work with a lactation consultant. Most hospitals have them, so ask for one many times. There are different lactation consultant's, so if you find that one is not helpful, work with a different one. I was hesitant with this when it came to my second because I thought I knew what I was doing. Remember that the baby has never nursed, so they have to learn how to do it correctly before it works.
  2. Try and nurse a lot when your baby is fully awake! My oldest was a sleepy baby, and his doctor told me to tickle his feet to keep him awake to nurse.
  3. Place the babies mouth close to your nipple, back their face away, they will open their mouth wide to reach for the nipple and put them on.
  4. Some babies get a little impatient for the let down. It takes awhile for milk to come out for some women. Try pumping for 5 minutes, then try and nurse. The baby is more satisfied quickly. Once they know what it's like to get the milk, they will be more willing to work for it. This process may seem pointless to you because when you pump you may not produce much in 5 minutes. Your baby will get milk a lot faster though.
  5. Here's a video showing you how to latch a baby correctly. This probably looks a lot easier then it is when you first attempt to nurse. Just to warn you there is some graphic content in this video.

No comments: