Kids learn from their parents. Many behavior traits that you have, they mimic.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Think about how you could have handled a situation in a different way.
- Replay what happened in your mind.
- Think about it from your child's perspective.
- Imagine how your child feels. Ex: Are they scared of you? Did you hurt them?
- This is when it's time to communicate steps 1-4 to your child. Follow through. You will in the long run have an understanding of your child and yourself.
- Now that you both are on talking terms, this is the time to tell your child, "I'm sorry." If they did something wrong, explain that they need to apologize to you as well.
In the end you need to forgive yourself. Mistakes happen. We're all human. Know that you are not a horrible mother; just a better one for admitting that you were in the wrong.
It doesn't matter what age your child is. Apologizing is a lot like learning the words, "Thank you" and "Please." You have to start somewhere.