Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Healthy Diet For Moms That are Breastfeeding

I think it's important to just eat healthy and drink enough water to quench your thirst. I found a wonderful article put out by Medela on healthy eating.

Stay Hydrated and Stay Away From Caffeine
  • Drink a lot of water. Remember that whenever a baby drinks from you, you loose fluids. I made it a practice just to drink a glass water when my babies were eating. There's no need to drown yourself. Just drink enough that you are not thirsty still. Water is the best thing to drink. 
  • Try and stay clear of caffeine. That is easier for some then others. For some odd reason with my youngest I had this new craving for coffee. My doctor said it was fine if I had one cup of coffee a day. That's all I would have anyhow. Check with your doctor. Drinking caffeine can make your baby edgy! While it keeps mom up, it does your baby to. The article said to limit yourself to 300 mg per day (about a 12 oz cup of coffee).

Don't Count Your Calories
  • If you were trying to loose weight, many moms do so when a baby breastfeeds. Just try and eat healthy. There is little limit to eating veggies. Fruits have sugar in them, but they are natural sugars. You will need protein to produce milk. If you are a vegetarian you can still breastfeed! Tofu and beans are great sources of protein. Enjoy all the food groups! You need a mix.
  • Typically, a breastfeeding mom needs an additional 300 to 500 calories per day. Go ahead and increase your food amount. I ate more while breastfeeding, and lost weight. Then when I weaned I gained weight. It's more when you are ending breastfeeding that you need to watch what and how much you eat.
  • Eat Cold-Water Fish. They are higher in DHA and Omega-3 Fatty acids. These vitamins help with eye and brain development. They also help reduce postpartum depression. Some milks have added these ingredients to them. Read labels.  
Pay Attention to Food Allergies
  • I never had any problems, but my sister did. Her son broke out in hives and was very fussy; when she ate certain foods.
  • Other things to watch out for: Wheezing and green stools with mucus. 
  • Talk to your child's doctor on this one. They will help with your diet to make your child a happier baby.
 Supplements?
  • Ask your doctor. Mine told me to take my prenatal vitamin for the first few months. Then I switched to a Woman's One a Day vitamin. Really they say if you are eating a well balanced meal, you don't need supplements. I would just consult your doctor though. 

No comments: